Wednesday, January 14, 2015

|| Kiss Me Organics Matcha Review ||

I recently received this product through BrandBacker to test out and review for you guys. As you can guess by the brand name, this is an organic Matcha powder, and it is the first result that pops up at the top of the search results when you search "matcha" on Amazon.ca. This sells for $29 CDN on Amazon for a 4 oz (113g) bag, but anyone who has bought or used matcha before probably knows that is a pretty expensive product, so honestly, $30 for 4 oz isn't bad. (To compare, DavidsTea charges $29-39 for 100g, depending on the matcha you choose) Also, because it is over $25, Amazon.ca ships this product for free if you choose the Super Saver shipping option, which is pretty awesome.

If you aren't familiar with matcha, I'll give you a quick description, though I'm guessing you know a little bit about it already just because it is so big right now!

Matcha is the product that makes your green tea lattés and frappucinos green. It is a powder made from grinding whole green tea leaves, and rather than steeping the leaves in hot water like regular tea, matcha is prepared by blending this powder into hot water (or hot milk for a creamy treat!). Since you are ingesting the whole leaves, you get a lot more of the antioxidants that are naturally in green tea (the packaging for this brand claims that it is 137 times the amount found in brewed green tea). Kiss Me Organics claims many of the benefits that has made this product such a fad right now on their packaging, such as: 1) all day energy, 2) metabolism boost/burns calories, 3) increased focus, 4) improved skin health/anti-aging. Obviously these claims are a little hard to test, so I won't be discussing them in this review, and whether you believe these claims or not, they apply to all matcha, not just this brand.

I just want to preface my actual review by stating that I love matcha! I think it's delicious in drinks, candies, food, etc. I'll tell you my particular favourite way to use matcha a little later, but for now, let's get into my thoughts on this product:

1. I've already mentioned that the price for this brand is at least comparable to others, so it isn't overpriced, nor is it particularly inexpensive.

2. This really doesn't affect the product inside, but I think some of the choices that Kiss Me Organics made with their packaging are a little off-putting, and I probably wouldn't have picked this product up in a store. The largely printed health benefit claims on the front make it look a little like a gimmicky health food or supplement, instead of an ancient and delicious way to drink tea. I would much more happily pick up a matcha powder at a tea shop or in more aesthetically pleasing packaging. That said, I don't think now that I've tried it, that the packaging should scare you off. If you read the ingredients on the back, this really is just matcha powder, with no additives!

3. Matcha powder can be a little hard to mix into hot water, tending to clump together, so it can be a bit of a pain to work with. I also don't have the fancy matcha whisks you can buy at tea shops, so that might be partly why. Still, this was no harder than others to mix, which is good.

4. The flavour of this matcha is excellent for drinks, and would likely be awesome in baking as well, though I haven't yet tried that. It is a good, strong green tea flavour without being harsh or bitter. This is good quality tea.

***

Now, just to conclude, I wanted to let you know my favourite way to drink Matcha. It's super simple. Also, I like drinking big servings, but you could easy cut the amounts in half for a smaller serving! This will make about 16 oz. Basically, it's a lazy matcha vanilla latte. All you need is:

1 teaspoon Matcha Powder
1 cup Hot Water
1 cup heated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Sugar to taste. (I use 1-2 teaspoons, depending on my mood, or you could leave it out all together)

Mix matcha and hot water until you get out as many of the lumps as possible. Add milk, vanilla, and sugar. Enjoy! This almost tastes like Green Tea KitKats to me... Soooo good!

***

Anyways, I hope you found this review helpful. If you would like to learn more about this product and Kiss Me Organics, you can check them out at kissmeorganics.com. You can also click the links below to find this product on Amazon for your country:

Canadian Amazon

US Amazon

UK Amazon

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, and I really do read them all! So let me know what your thoughts are!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...